I cannot wait to share this delicious super-easy, yet elegant dessert, perfect for Turkey Day! We made it today with our after-school cooking students, and the kids and parents were begging for the recipe right after the classes ended, so they can make it for their holiday dessert tables.
The flavors of pure pumpkin, whipped topping, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla or cheesecake instant pudding powder blended together, make an amazing filling to pipe or spoon into mini phyllo tart shells (available in the frozen food section of most supermarkets).
So, here's the recipe for you to enjoy!!
Mini Pumpkin Tarts
What you'll need
- 3 packages (15 tarts each) prebaked frozen mini pastry shells (we used Athens Mini Fillo Shells)
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 cups (plus extra for garnish) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon (plus extra for garnish) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package of vanilla or cheesecake-flavor instant pudding and pie filling
- Mint leaves (for garnish)
How to make it
- Remove the shells from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and pudding mix in a medium bowl. Stir or whisk until smooth and thick. Fold in the whipped topping until uniform, but don't over mix.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filling into each of the shells (you can also pipe the filling with a pastry bag or a plastic food storage bag with one corner snipped off), then top the tarts with whipped topping, a sprinkling of the pumpkin pie spice, and a mint leaf, if you like. Makes 45 tarts.